Sunday, February 7, 2010

Another recipe...

More cooking this week. I have mostly been trying out various loaf recipes, because they are great for slicing up and freesing in individual slices. These are pulled out at the last minute and stuffed into lunchboxes - they defrost by recess and the kids love them.

PENNSYLVANIA APPLESAUCE BREAD
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Sift together dry ingredients. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Blend in dry ingredients gradually. Add applesauce and nuts, mixing just enough to wet all ingreients. Pour into a well greased loaf pan. Let rise for 20 mins (YES -really!). Bake in a 180 degree C oven for 55 to 60 minutes.

I also made an Orange Nut Bread, but the recipe needs a bit of tweaking before I'll be happy to post it.

The other loaf I make regularly is http://www.banana-bread-recipe.com/. Hubby LOVES it - but he finds it too sweet as is. They use up to 1 cup sugar, we barely use 1/3 cup. I usually add some spices and I always use wholemeal flour for all my loaves.

Next time Miss CatJB, I promise I will post the muffin recipe!

1 comment: