Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Spinach and Rice Pie

This is all that's left of dinner - and that's only because I stopped them eating the last bit as I wanted some for lunch tomorrow. I can't remember where I got this recipe but it SOO good. Universal approval is hard to come by in my house, but this meal gets it...


SPINACH AND RICE PIE
3/4 cup rice (we use brown)
50 g butter
1/2 cup sliced spring onions
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups hot milk
1 cup cooked spinach, chopped (I also grate in about half a zucchini)
1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
Cook rice by your method of choice, and allow to cool. I usually steam my spinach and zucchini over the top of the rice pot at the same time. Melt butter in a pan and cook spring onions until soft. Beat eggs in a large bowl, add rice, spring onions and butter, and remaining ingredients (I usually add a good grate of nutmeg, too). Pour into a greased 23 cm pie dish. Bake at 190 degrees celcius for 35-40 minutes, until pie is lightly set. Leave pie to stand for 10 minutes. Serve pie warm or cold, cut into wedges.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, sounds good! My kids love rice, this sounds like it might be a good one!

    ReplyDelete