Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blondie invents a new recipe - sort of!!

My little blondie loves to bake and cook. She especially loves her aunt's (The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady) chocolate brownies. Well on Monday night she decided to make another batch and Mummy was not supervising properly and this is the result...!


She substituted raw sugar for the brown sugar, and mixed it into the butter while the butter was still melting, which I think started to caramalise it. Then she realised we had no eggs left - we'd just had omelets for dinner. "Mummy - what can I use instead of eggs?"
Well, a cake book I had said that a dssp of custard powder mixed with a tbsp milk makes an acceptable substitute for eggs - hmm.
OK - so the butter didn't combine with the flour, the sugar has all caramalised - but it is jaw-breakingly good. It has the brownie flavour, odd bits are chewy and the rest is like hard toffee.
YUM!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! It looks delish! I have used apple sauce/puree before as a successful egg substitute. It works in cookies, presume it would work in brownies, not sure about a cake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo yummy! Might have to try this too. I did try your spinach pie and I added sliced cookied sausages and fried the greens in the sausage pan. W said,"It looks yucky but tastes yum, Mum!"

    ReplyDelete