Sunday, October 19, 2014

Cheese-making this week...

Since I've been back from Brisbane (more about that in another post) I've been making cheese again. I've taken time to myself - now that lots of our out-of-school activities have wound down.  Also inspired by my beautiful step-mum, who finds the time to make cheese even with her busy life.  If she can do it - so can I!

First was Camembert.  I love Camembert and so do my children.  I didn't have any mould spores available so I used a sliver of mould from a commercial Camembert - and what do you know?  It worked!  It is in my cheese fridge happily sprouting a coating of white mould as it should.


The Camembert is on the top in it's own box so it doesn't contaminate anything else.  The second cheese I made was a Monterrey Jack with HiLo milk.  It is the red one on the right.  A smaller cheese because of the HiLo.  The one on the left is a Farmhouse Cheddar that I made about six months ago that we are resisting eating until at least nine months. 


Then yesterday I made a Caerphilly - that's it just out of the mold above.  It is one of Miss Blondie's favourites and quite a quick cheese to mature.  It is ready to eat in about three weeks and doesn't need waxing.  Caerphilly is a Welsh cheese - whitish, crumbly, a bit salty and very yummy.

I have just ordered some more ingredients - including a thermophilic culture for making cheeses like Parmesan.  So I hope I can keep finding the time to make cheese.  We have no weekend sports for the summer as we were all suffering from lack of home and family time.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, you need home and family time to remember who you are. Plus, yours are growing up so fast that soon they won't be around to take up all your time OR eat all your cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, didn't know you were making cheese! Something I've wanted to do for a while, seeing as I can get 'raw milk' shhhhh...don't tell.....!

    ReplyDelete