Sunday, May 15, 2011

Uluru and Kata Tjuta

Sorry for the hiatus guys!  I've been suffering a bit of bad luck with the health of my left foot over the last two weeks and haven't felt like blogging.  The latest incident last night began with me starting to move my sewing table and not realising that one of the shelves in it was loose - and ended with me in emergency having my toe x-rayed and the side of my foot plastered, yes, my big toe is broken and I am on crutches!!!

Anyhow, back to the trip.

DAY 5:  This was our day for Uluru.  We headed out relatively early to do the walk out to the Mutitjulu Waterhole.  On the way we found some gorgeous rock art...
which the kids had fun trying to interpret as they've all done a few Aboriginal studies at school.  The walk culminated in a beautiful still pool...
where the peace was only broken by the buzzing of flies.  Don't you love the fly nets?  An absolute necessity!  We then did the walk into Kantju Gorge where the kids found a rock outcrop that looked all the world like a cresting wave...
We followed up the walks with lunch and a visit to the cultural centre - well worth the visit.  It really gives you an insight into the Aboriginal beliefs about the area and why it is so sacred to them.  

Then back to Yulara for a swim (and some much needed laundry!) before we headed out to watch the sunset.  We managed to snag one of the viewing platforms where the kids and I set up to do some painting...
 as Uluru dressed up in it's evening finery...
That night hubby and I were startled by what we initially thought was a mouse or rat scurrying around under the trailer.  But then we noticed it was hopping!  We were being visited by a little marsupial mouse and the next morning the kids and I scouted around for it's footprints...
DAY 6:  We then headed out to Kata Tjuta for the day.  We started with the Walpa Gorge walk...
admired the local wildlife on the way...
and found this gorgeous pool at the end.
Then we did the Valley of the Winds walk up to the 1st lookout - where the kids took a well-deserved rest!
Oh, and check out the next generation of tree huggers!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pic of the lizard. And bugger about your toe - but I'm guessing you use your right foot on the presser on your sewing machine so you'll be right, luv!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, ouch!! And um, WHERE are the pictures of you and your foot, hmmmm?! Love the scenery, and the flynets....I bought a cork hat when I was out that way, the flies drove me nuts!

    ReplyDelete